Escalators make our lives easier every day and are widely used in commercial, retail, and residential buildings. However, when they break down, escalators may also be horrifyingly dangerous, and accidents may result in critical injuries or even fatalities. When escalator accidents do occur, it is possible to hold individuals accountable for the design, construction, and maintenance of the machines. Reaching out to a Philadelphia escalator injury attorney can help you assess your case and evaluate your legal options.
If you or a loved one have been seriously hurt in an escalator accident our Philadelphia escalator injury lawyers at The Villari Firm are here to assist you in obtaining maximum compensation for your losses. Call us now!
Why Do I Need an Escalator Injury Lawyer in Pennsylvania?
Many accident victims falsely believe they can effectively handle their own personal injury cases. If you’ve been in an escalator accident, you should be extremely reluctant about doing this. Working with a reputable and well-established personal injury attorney is a great approach to increase the likelihood that you will receive the compensation to which you are entitled.
At The Villari Firm, you can trust that our attorneys have the skills and knowledge to handle these intricate claims and aggressively protect your best interest. You trust our lawyers to do the following after your escalator accident:
- Investigate your escalator accident
- Collect evidence like video surveillance and witness statements
- Consult with the building manager and the escalator manufacturer to assess liability
- Communicate with the insurance company to safeguard your rights
- Organize and collect medical records
- Evaluate and estimate your claim correctly
- Negotiate a reasonable arrangement with the opposite party
- If a fair settlement cannot be achieved, bring your case to trial
If you’ve been hurt in an escalator accident that was someone else’s fault, don’t hesitate to call our personal injury law office so we can start fighting for the compensation you deserve. The first crucial step in recovering from a personal injury is to schedule a free consultation with our Philadelphia escalator injury attorney.
Common Causes of Escalator Accidents
An escalator is composed of countless individual components that work together to complete the ride. Any of these items can go wrong and cause an accident if they were badly built or maintained. The most common causes of escalator accidents are:
- Faulty handrails
- Loose or missing screws
- Electrical or mechanical malfunctions
- Spaces and gaps in the steps or plates
- Improperly working emergency shut-off buttons
- Missing comb plates
- Missing or defective foot brushes
- Escalator design flaws
- Entrapments between the steps
- Escalators reversing direction, resulting in a pileup
- Inadequate escalator lighting
- Fingers becoming trapped in the machine
- Lack of proper warning especially if the escalator is not functioning properly
- Failure to properly maintain and/or inspect the escalator
- Failure to follow building codes
- Not following building/escalator regulations and laws
To help you recover the compensation you need to heal, immediately get in touch with our Philadelphia escalator injury attorney at The Villari Firm for legal advice.
Escalator Injuries in Philadelphia PA
Escalators make life substantially easier and are commonly found in retail stores, airports, athletic venues, and offices around the world. While escalators are safe to ride, a few can cause dangerous accidents. And accidents involving escalators can cause severe and debilitating injuries, especially when they occur at high speeds.
Injuries sustained in an escalator accident may include
- Traumatic brain injury, including concussions
- Spinal cord injuries
- Catastrophic injury
- Joint and soft-tissue injuries
- Multiple bone fractures
- Strains and sprains
- Contusions and lacerations
- Cuts and bruises
- Torn ligaments
- Degloving a digit or limb
- Electric shock/electrocution
The majority of these wounds are catastrophic, and it might take several months or even years to fully heal from them. If you or a loved one have sustained injuries in an escalator accident, you should see a Philadelphia escalator injury attorney as quickly as possible to discuss your best course of action.
Escalator Injury Liability in Philadelphia PA
There are numerous causes of escalator accidents. The facts and circumstances surrounding each escalator accident are unique. For instance, an escalator may abruptly stop, reverse, or accelerate without notice. An escalator may have missing teeth, gaps between the steps, or broken handrails. If a responsible person knew or should have known about a problem, failed to promptly remedy it, and you were hurt as a result, they may be held legally liable.
Importantly, multiple parties may be liable for your escalator accident injuries. Depending on the circumstances of the accident, the following parties may be mentioned in your personal injury lawsuit:
- Escalator manufacturer — Product liability claim may hold the manufacturer accountable if the accident was caused by a design error in the escalator’s machinery or if the device was defective.
- Maintenance company — Escalators must be suitably maintained in line with the building code and industry standards. If an escalator is maintained negligently, the maintenance firm may be liable for any injuries that arise.
- Building owner — For failing to maintain the building in a safe state for guests, the property owner may be liable under a premises liability claim.
- Security company — The security company contracted to ensure the safety of the building may be mentioned in the lawsuit if they knew the escalator was malfunctioning and failed to protect it or shut it down.
- Management company — If the building is managed by a company, it may be liable for failing to schedule routine maintenance, warn visitors of a hazardous situation, or conduct a thorough property inspection.
In certain instances, the defendant in an escalator accident case may attempt to transfer blame to you by asserting that you contributed to your injuries. Nonetheless, it is crucial to note that this would not prevent you from receiving compensation. Under Pennsylvania’s modified comparative negligence legislation, a plaintiff may receive damages in a personal injury claim as long as they are less than 51% responsible for the accident. Your degree of fault will directly correlate to the amount of compensation you are due.
Compensation in a Philadelphia PA Escalator Injury Lawsuit
Injuries sustained on an escalator may be a premises liability. The responsibility falls on the owner of the property where the escalator is located if there was a hazardous condition on the site. It could also be a product liability case for the manufacturer of the escalator if it was defective.
In a legal proceeding, there is the potential to receive different types of compensation, regardless of the outcome. These include:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Medication costs
- Loss of wages
- Loss of diminished earning capacity
- Mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of affection and companionship
- Disability and disfigurement
- Wrongful death
Our Philadelphia escalator injury lawyer will analyze the details of your case and your losses and recommend an appropriate amount of compensation.
How to Satisfy the Burden of Proof in Philadelphia?
To champion an escalator injury lawsuit, you need to strive to fulfill the burden of proof with the assistance of your Philadelphia escalator accident attorney by gathering the following pieces of evidence:
- Images and videos of the safety issues that contributed to your accident
- Police incident report
- Witness statements
- Security camera video of your accident as it occurred
- Medical records that indicate the degree of your injuries
Working immediately with a Philadelphia premises liability lawyer is critical to your case. The state of Pennsylvania only allows two years opportunity window from the date of your escalator accident to file a lawsuit. Failure to file your personal injury case on time will forfeit your chance to go against the irresponsible party liable for your injuries.
Call our Philadelphia Escalator Injury Attorney Now!
Escalator accidents happen more frequently than you would expect. Every day, thousands of people utilize escalators in Philadelphia. Accidents may occur at any time, anywhere, and frequently as a result of negligence on the part of building owners, managers, employees, or maintenance contractors.
If you or someone you know has been in a serious accident while riding an escalator, The Villari Firm can help you assess whether you have a case and take legal action to guarantee you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries and damages.
For over two decades, victims of various types of negligence have been able to count on The Villari Firm, PLLC for strong legal defense. We represent clients in a broad range of personal injury cases, such as those involving medical malpractice or birth injuries, construction accidents, car accident, truck accident, or motorcycle crash, premises liability, product liability, catastrophic injuries, and more. We also represent and advise the families of the victims of wrongful deaths in court.
Begin taking legal action now by reaching out to our Philadelphia escalator injury attorney today!